Save Our Stomachs! We are living on coffee and catnaps at the moment… it’s been 3 weeks now of the babies sleeping like newborns i.e. NOT A LOT AT NIGHT. When they do sleep, they take it in turns, so there’s pretty much always one baby on the go.
Time and energy for food prep is in short supply, so I’m falling back on some old favourites. This breakfast/lunch/saviour meal takes 10 minutes, all in. It is protein packed, healthy, hearty vegetarian fare. And it tastes so good.
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 fresh chilli / generous teaspoon chilli flakes
- 2 Cauldron sausages
- 4 eggs
- 8 Mushrooms
- 1 avocado
- 2 tortilla wraps
- Cream cheese
- Large handful grated Cheddar cheese – I just buy it pre grated at the moment. If you don’t, you will need to grate it on your own time.
- Large handful fresh coriander
- Sriracha sauce / whatever chilli sauce you are partial to
A note on Cauldron sausages: these are the best vege sausages on the U.K. market in my opinion. Whenever I try other brands I am generally a bit disappointed. If you prefer something else, by all means substitute it, but you are going off piste and I can’t promise it will work!
A note on proportions: you know how hungry you are; increase portion sizes accordingly. Twice the sausages is good if you have a large enough pan, or you could make fewer eggs if you’re that way inclined.
- 12:00 Get out in ingredients and a big non-stick frying pan
- 12:01 Slosh of olive oil in the pan, medium heat, add sausages, shake to coat them in oil. Note: these cook in 8 minutes, turning regularly.
- 12:02 Mince the garlic, slice the chilli, add to the pan. Stir & shake.
- 12:03 Chop the mushrooms. Chop the coriander.
- 12:04 Sweep the sausages to one side of the pan. Add mushrooms to other side of pan and stir to coat in oil. Stir half the coriander into the mushrooms.
- 12:05 Get out 2 plates and put a tortilla on each. Spread with cream cheese.
- 12:06 Turn sausages, stir mushrooms, make room in the pan. Carefully crack in the eggs.
- 12:07 Chop the avocado and scoop out half onto each tortilla
- 12:08 Turn the sausages, gently stir mushrooms if you think they need it. Everything should be almost cooked; if not, consider turning up the heat for a minute
- 12:09 Divide the contents of the pan between the two tortillas. Put the pan in the sink and make sure the stove is off
- 12:10 Scatter on the grated cheese, the remaining coriander leaves, and a generous dash sriracha. Eat!
Do you have any trusty SOS meals you fall back on in times of crisis? Let me know in the comments – we can virtual comfort-eat together 😉