* Safe for babies… unsafe for upholstery. Delicious for adults. Vegan!
I love dressing up, festivals and frippery, and most years I manage to attend a costume party or dance macabre to celebrate all that is gruesome, exciting and escapist at Halloween.
This year… not so much! I was home alone with two 7-month old babies, who are now in a fairly set routine of dinner, bath, PJs, feed to sleep (albeit with mighty protests at every transition). It’s a lot to do on one’s own and recently the monotony has been starting to get me down.
Social media was filling up with other people’s party pics, everyone and their gorgeous offspring seemed to be out Trick Or Treat-ing, and I was looking blankly into the fridge trying to plan a nutritious yet mutually-palatable meal for one adult and 2 babies… when a vacuum pack of beetroot caught my eye.
ZOMBIE ATTACK!!! 🧟♀️
Featuring Sleep-Deprivation-Zombie Mummy & the Two Tiny Terrors
- 2 beetroots (not pickled ones!)
- Large handful frozen dark cherries
- 100ml freshly boiled water
- A banana (you might only use half)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (optional)
- Put the cherries in a blender (I have a Nutribullet Ninja which I love) and pour on the boiling water. Leave 5 minutes
- Add the beetroot and whizz to a smooth, sanguineous consistency
- If you want smooth, sweet liquid “blood“: whizz in the banana until smooth
- If you want semi-sweet blood that is starting to clot: fork-mash the banana then mix in well.
- If essentially what you want is a bowl of blood clots, whizz in half the banana and a tablespoon of chia seeds, then fork mash the rest on the banana and mix in. Wait 10 minutes. Stir & marvel at its disgusting gloriousness.
Then dish it out and stand well back!
🧟♀️ ❤️ Yum yum! ❤️ 🧟